Name Change for Client on Work Visa – DMV / SAVE

March 13, 2017 · Posted in Blog, Name Change Blog 

Client from India who is Legal Resident on work visa cannot renew NJ Driver’s License because the name on the Federal SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program Database System) and the Department of Motor Vehicles do not match.

Our firm was recently hired to help a citizen of India here on a work visa renew his NJ Driver’s License.  The problem arose because the federal Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements Program Database System (SAVE) has a programming error.  Due to the way the name appears on a passport from India, the SAVE database merges the person’s first and middle name into a single first name. The SAVE database is a component of the Department of Homeland Security that was created “as a fast, secure and efficient verification service for federal, state and local benefit-granting agencies to verify a benefit applicant’s immigration status or naturalized/derived citizenship.” Read More »

Changing your Gender Marker on your Birth Certificate in New Jersey

December 6, 2015 · Posted in Blog, Name Change Blog 

The New Jersey lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (“LGBT”) community faces a number of potential challenges that other communities do not have to deal with.  In addition to prejudice, legal conundrums and gray areas unfortunately exist.  As of 2015, same-sex marriages are recognized in New Jersey and across the county.  Although many of the past issues and questions facing the LGBT community have been resolved with the ability to get married, issues nonetheless remain.

For example, under the current state of law in New Jersey, transgender individuals are not able to change their gender marker on their birth certificates without having undergone full sexual reassignment surgery.  Surgical transition, however, requires costly medical procedures that are not usually covered by health insurance.  This requirement, in turn, creates barriers for both middle and lower-income transgender individuals.  Moreover, aside from the prohibitive costs associated with surgery, there are several other reasons why transgender individuals elect not to have surgery.  In fact, almost two-third of transgender individuals do not undergo reassignment surgery.

Read More »

New Case Law: Contested Name Changes for Minors Post-Divorce

September 9, 2013 · Posted in Blog, Name Change Blog 

Controversies often arise in the context of minor name changes.  The most frequent controversies involve disputes over the minor’s surname either at birth or post-divorce.  In Emma v. Evans, (N.J. Aug. 12, 2013), the New Jersey Supreme Court recently addressed the situation of disputes that arise post-divorce.  Prior to Emma, in Gubernat v. Deremer, 140 N.J. 120 (1995), the Court addressed the issue of disputes involving the child’s surname at birth.  In Gubernat, the Court held that when parents cannot agree on the child’s surname at birth, a presumption arises that the name chosen by the custodial parent is consistent with the best interests of the child.  The non-custodial parent may rebut this presumption by presenting evidence that a different surname would better serve the child’s interests.  Read More »

New Jersey Name Changes for Non-U.S Citizens

August 30, 2013 · Posted in Blog, Name Change Blog 

Immigrants often have more reason than U.S. citizens to change their names.  Records of entry of many immigrants into the U.S. contain assumed names, incorrect names, and other errors.  Additionally, after coming to America, many immigrants wish to assimilate and, therefore, decide to Americanize their names.  When an immigrant’s new name no longer matches that shown on their official immigration record, they often face difficulties voting, in legal proceedings, or in immigration proceedings. Read More »

Name Changes and Gender Marker Changes for Transgender Individuals in New Jersey

August 15, 2013 · Posted in Blog, Name Change Blog 

The Law Office of Randolph Wolf has been helping individuals change legally change their names for over 30 years.  For transgender individuals wishing to change their name and gender markers, the first step is to obtain a court ordered name change judgment.  Once this is obtained, you can then amend most documents to reflect your new name and gender.   The article below serves as a guide for those individuals wishing to change their name and/or gender markers on important documents, including your driver’s license, social security card, and birth certificate.


Transgender persons may want to change their first name to reflect their gender identity or their last name as part of a civil union.  If you are at least 18 years old, you can change your name for almost any reason as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes, such as to avoid creditors, judgments, and/or criminal prosecutions.  You must file your name change petition in the Superior Court of the New Jersey County in which you presently reside, regardless of where you were born.  Name changes usually require a court appearance and generally take three to four months to complete.  Once you obtain a court-ordered name change judgment, you can then change your name on various identification documents.  Read More »

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Sitemap ] © Copyright Randolph H. Wolf, Esq