Name Changes

A name change is the procedure in the State of New Jersey that is followed when you change either your complete name or a part of your name. Examples of this are a minor change such as changing your middle initial or a complete change such as selecting a new last name. Other name changes are sought to change a child’s name to conform to the rest of a family. Due to the new Homeland Security Regulations many people have found that DMV will not renew their Driver’s Licenses because the name they have always been known by does not match their birth certificate. The remedy to this situation is to obtain a name change from the birth name to the name a person is using.

Regardless of the reason, the procedure in New Jersey is the same. A Complaint for name change must be filed in the Superior Court in the County in which the person resides. An Order Fixing a Hearing Date is submitted and the Judge signs it and assigns a date when the matter will be heard. The Petition and the Order are served upon various governmental agencies who are given an opportunity to file an objection to the change of name if they so choose. Proof of this service must be filed with the Court. They are also published in the local paper in the legal notice section. The individual seeking the name change must then appear in Court for the Hearing. If the Judge is satisfied that the person has a legitimate reason to change his or her name and is not seeking to do so for any improper purpose then the Judge will grant the name change and sign an Order. This Order must then be publishes in the local paper and filed with the Secretary of State of New Jersey. The Judge also assigns a date on which the person may begin using their new name.

The process of obtaining a name change usually takes between 60 and 90 days. It is technically demanding because if the requirements are not followed exactly every step of the way, from the proper information being provided in the Petition, to the proper service, publication, and filing, the Court will deny the application. The Law Firm of Randolph H. Wolf has over 20 years experience in handling name change applications for our clients. We will give you a reasonable fixed fee including all costs, expenses, and fees, and handle your name change in a professional and timely manner. We look forward to working with you.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Sitemap ] © Copyright Randolph H. Wolf, Esq