NJ Traffic Tickets for Connecticut Residents

November 28, 2012

The New Jersey MVC will report traffic tickets to the Connecticut DMV as both states are members of the Driver’s License Compact. The Connecticut DMV, however, will usually not assign points to an individual’s driving record for an out of state violation so long as the individual makes payment in full and disposes of the case. Points are only given if there is a conviction (a finding of guilty) or a bond forfeiture, after a court hearing. The DMV does not specify whether the points imposed, if any, are different if the violation occurs out of state. Check with the Connecticut Driver Service Division at 860 263 5720 to find out for certain if points are assigned and, if so, how many for out of state moving violations.

If you fail to pay for a ticket of appear in court in New Jersey, the Connecticut DMV will suspend your driving privileges in Connecticut, as both states are members of the Non-Resident Violator Compact. On this subject, the official Connecticut DMV website states:

If you have received a suspension notice for failure to appear/pay a fine resulting from a ticket issued from another state, you must contact the court indicated on the document enclosed with the suspension notice. If the ticket is paid before the effective date of suspension, or if the case is
reopened by the court before the effective date of suspension, you must submit a copy of the court receipt issued by the state that shows the citation number and the date of payment to the address below.

If the ticket is paid on or after the effective date of suspension, or if the case is reopened by the court on or after the effective date of suspension, along with the receipt, you must also submit a check or money order payable to “DMV” in the amount of $175 to restore your driver’s license or driving privilege to the following address:

State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver Services Division
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161 2525

Please clearly print your name, current address and date of birth on all documents. Please allow two weeks for processing

You cannot legally operate a motor vehicle until you receive an official notice from the Department of Motor Vehicles informing you that the restoration has been processed.

Similar Posts:

By way of disclaimer, I must advise you that the purpose of this blog is not to provide legal advise and I am not doing so. I do not generally police this blog and I have no way of knowing whether the information that anyone else posts is accurate. Also keep in mind that laws and regulations change frequently and anything you read may be out of date.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Sitemap ] © Copyright Randolph H. Wolf, Esq